Most moms know the debate that rages between formula feeding and breastfeeding. Sure, scientifically breastfeeding offers some advantages. It can help build immunity and is customized to your specific baby. And formula feeding isn’t without its merits. For one it is a literal lifesaver for women who can’t produce enough breastmilk. It takes pressure off of moms as the sole food source and lets moms get back to work more easily. I think the logical thing to do is offer up education on both methods, the pros and cons, and then focus on helping each mother do what is best for her family. Sounds easy enough, right? Yet it doesn’t work that way. So I’m going to introduce a new perspective into the debate. Twins versus singletons. I have a singleton and I have twins. They have all been fed adequately. But I had very different experiences when it came to how I was going to feed those children. Is formula vs breastmilk that different when you consider how twins are treated compared to singletons? What can twins teach us about breastfeeding attitudes?
Before I go too deep into this, I want to point out that this was my experience. That means it is not the only experience out there. But it is also what I have observed from researching and seeking out help as a mother of both a singleton and twins. So I don’t think it is an uncommon experience. Why are twins treated differently than singletons in terms of breastfeeding? And what can this teach us about how we handle the whole breast vs. formula debate?
Here are the particular circumstances that stuck out to me.
Read more –> HERE
This week the ladies of the Babywise Friendly Blogging Network are writing on the topic of feeding your baby. Below you’ll find the posts for each lady, and they’re labelled as to when they’ll be live. Enjoy!
- Chronicles of a Babywise Mom – How I Breastfed For 12 Months Even When Everything Went Wrong (Monday)
- Christine Keys – This Is Why Breast Isn’t Best (Tuesday)
- Team Cartwright – What Twins Can Teach Us About Breastfeeding Attitudes (Tuesday)
- Mama’s Organized Chaos – Advantages of Breastfeeding on a Schedule (Wednesday)
- Let’s Be Brave – How To Survive The First Few Months of Breastfeeding (Wednesday)
- Twin Mom and More – The Realities of Exclusively Pumping (Thursday)
- Wiley Adventures – (Thursday)
- The Journey of Parenthood – The Real Pros and Cons of Breastfeeding vs Bottle Feeding (Friday)