Pumping… ugh. Is there anyone who can honestly say that it’s an enjoyable experience? I haven’t met a single mom who has enjoyed the experience. There are many reasons women choose to exclusively pump breastmilk for their babies and to enjoy the experience is not one of them. I breastfed my first until he self-weaned at ten months old. I planned on at least attempting to do the same thing with my twins. The idea of exclusively pumping was not one that I even thought about because my breastfeeding experience with my first was so easy.
I believe that the choice to feed your baby is deeply personal. There are so, SO many factors, and nobody knows what you’re going through except for you. I want to encourage you to make your choice and be a champion for yourself. If you want to push through and continue nursing even under extremely hard circumstances, all the power to you. If you choose to stop breastfeeding and formula feed your baby, that is your choice and it is just as great of a choice as breastfeeding. If you choose to exclusively pump, that is also a great choice, and possibly the choice that’s the most work.
Why I Exclusively Pumped
My twins were born almost two months prematurely. Their first feedings were from feeding tubes and then they graduated to bottle. I did breastfeed them a few times in the NICU, but they were really too weak to nurse efficiently. Each time I nursed them, they would get too tired and fall asleep and have to receive the rest of their feeding via a feeding tube.
Once we got home, they were still too sleepy and weak to nurse. I tried a few times, but it ended up with all 3 of us crying and my husband running to prepare bottles as fast as he could. We switched to giving them bottles of pumped breastmilk. I always planned on trying again once they reached their due date, but by then they were really close to sleeping through the night and we had a great routine established. I didn’t want to change anything.
Read more –> HERE
This week the ladies of the Babywise Friendly Blogging Network are writing on the topic of feeding your baby. Below you’ll find the posts for each lady, and they’re labelled as to when they’ll be live. Enjoy!
- Chronicles of a Babywise Mom – How I Breastfed For 12 Months Even When Everything Went Wrong (Monday)
- Christine Keys – This Is Why Breast Isn’t Best (Tuesday)
- Team Cartwright – What Twins Can Teach Us About Breastfeeding Attitudes (Tuesday)
- Mama’s Organized Chaos – Advantages of Breastfeeding on a Schedule (Wednesday)
- Let’s Be Brave – How To Survive The First Few Months of Breastfeeding (Wednesday)
- Twin Mom and More – The Realities of Exclusively Pumping (Thursday)
- Wiley Adventures – (Thursday)
- The Journey of Parenthood – The Real Pros and Cons of Breastfeeding vs Bottle Feeding (Friday)