Breastfeeding didn’t start out anything like I had ever imagined it would. I had idealistic visions. My beautiful little newborn would be brought to the breast and would nurse perfectly. Why wouldn’t the baby do so? Sure, there might be a bump here or there, but I would lightly laugh them away and we would continue forward. Breastfeeding would be easy. Breastfeeding wouldn’t hurt. It was the natural thing to do and the way God designed the body, so of course it would be simple. It would be natural. It would be second nature. It would be a beautiful thing that bonded my baby to me.
Ummm…reality is different than our dreams. Despite the books all assuring me that breastfeeding would be simple, it was anything but. The boy had NO IDEA what he was doing. As a first time mom, neither did I. He was not a natural and I was not experienced.
Of course, they have people for that. There are people paid to help you learn to breastfeed your baby. I worked with a lactation consultant each day we were in the hospital. We ended up needing to do SnS to try to get some food into him (SnS is a system where you use a little tube to get the breastmilk or formula into babies mount while baby breastfeeds to encourage baby to realize breastfeeding means food). I would pump, put what I got into the SnS, and need someone with my while I fed him every feeding. This continued for a few days even after I was discharged. So every night feeding required two adults. Every daytime feeding required two adults.
Read more –> HERE.
This week the ladies of the Babywise Friendly Blogging Network are writing on the topic of feeding your baby. Below you’ll find the posts for each lady, and they’re labelled as to when they’ll be live. Enjoy!
- Chronicles of a Babywise Mom – How I Breastfed For 12 Months Even When Everything Went Wrong (Monday)
- Christine Keys – This Is Why Breast Isn’t Best (Tuesday)
- Team Cartwright – What Twins Can Teach Us About Breastfeeding Attitudes (Tuesday)
- Mama’s Organized Chaos – Advantages of Breastfeeding on a Schedule (Wednesday)
- Let’s Be Brave – How To Survive The First Few Months of Breastfeeding (Wednesday)
- Twin Mom and More – The Realities of Exclusively Pumping (Thursday)
- Wiley Adventures – (Thursday)
- The Journey of Parenthood – The Real Pros and Cons of Breastfeeding vs Bottle Feeding (Friday)